It was a tragic day for the people of Mozambique when a heavy storm claimed the lives of over a thousand in a cyclone that smashed into Mozambique last week.
The city of Beira in central Mozambique was the major hit on Thursday before the storm barrelled on to neighbouring Zimbabwe, unleashing fierce winds and flash floods and washing away roads and houses.
Mozambique President, Filipe Nyusi said in a press conference: “For the moment we have registered 84 deaths officially, but when we flew over the area… this morning to understand what’s going on, everything indicates that we could register more than 1,000 deaths.
“This is a real humanitarian disaster,” he said. “More than 100,000 people are in danger”.
In a statement released by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies(IFRC), it said “ninety percent of the city of some 530,000 people and its surrounding area has been damaged or destroyed.
“The situation is terrible. The scale of devastation is enormous.
“Almost everything is destroyed. Communication lines have been completely cut and roads have been destroyed. Some affected communities are not accessible.”
A large dam burst on Sunday and cut off the last road to Beira, he said.
Sofala Province governor Alberto Mondlane warned that the “biggest threat we have now, even bigger than the cyclone, is floods because it’s raining more and more”.