Suicide bombers kill six persons in Syria attack

An Islamic State group killed six people in three separate suicide attacks in eastern Syria on Friday.

They were the latest casualties in Syria’s devastating civil war, which entered its ninth year on Friday with 370,000 dead.

All that remains of a once-sprawling proto-state that the IS jihadists declared in 2014 is a battered riverside camp in the village of Baghouz near the Iraqi border.

The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, and warplanes of a US-led coalition backing them, have rained fire on the enclave since Sunday, blitzing thousands of IS members into surrender.

According to a SDF spokesman, Jiaker Amed, “A suicide bomber hid among those fleeing and blew himself up, killing at least six of those who wanted to get out” of Baghouz.”

Read Also:  Ebola: Virus cases in DR Congo ‘will rise in coming days’ – WHO

Two others blew themselves up near SDF positions, causing only light wounds among the fighters, he said.

Before the attacks, SDF spokesman Mustefa Bali said “a large number” of IS members had surrendered to the US-backed forces.

Earlier in the day, Amed said its fighters were consolidating their positions as it expected more people to stumble out.

It was however unclear how many remained inside.

“There are a lot of suicide bombers but there are also families and children,” he said before the attacks.

Source: AFP

loading...

Check Also

Finally!!! UK Parliament Approves Brexit Deal

The United Kingdom parliament Thursday  finally approved Brexit, allowing it to become the first country …