In a community in Nepal, a woman who is mensuratiing is been seen as unclean, this was the story of a woman who died of suspected smoke inhalation while banished to a hut during her period, police said Sunday.
The incident happened just weeks after the deaths of a mother and two children in similar circumstances sparked outrage.
Parbati Bogati, 21, was found dead in a smoke-filled hut on Thursday morning in the western Doti district when her mother-in-law went to check on her.
According to the local Police officer, Lal Bahqdur Dhami said, “We suspect she died due to smoke inhalation and suffocation because she closed the door of the windowless hut and lit a fire on the floor for warmth during the night.”
“The body has been sent for autopsy”, he concluded
This act is referred to as Chhaupadi, which was outlawed in 2005 but is still enforced in parts of Nepal, particularly in remote and conservative western regions.
The practice is linked to Hinduism and considers women untouchable during menstruation and after childbirth.
Under Chhaupadi, women are barred from touching food, religious icons, cattle and men.