The 98-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, went into the hospital on Friday for precautionary treatment on a pre-existing condition, Buckingham Palace said.
According to reports, Prince Phillip hospital stay is likely to upset the royal family’s plans for Christmas at the monarch’s private Sandringham estate in Norfolk, eastern England.
Queen Elizabeth, 93, had gone to join Prince Philip at Sandringham by train on Friday, having opened parliament in London on Thursday following last week’s snap general election.
“The Duke of Edinburgh travelled from Norfolk this morning to the King Edward VII Hospital in London for observation and treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition,” the palace said.
“The admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of his royal highness’ doctor.”
The prince is expected to be in the hospital for a few days, he was not taken by ambulance and it was a planned admission.
There was a similar situation on December 23, 2011 while at Sandringham for Christmas, the royal patriarch suffered chest pains and spent four days in hospital for a successful coronary angioplasty and stenting.