Microsoft is widely known for its Windows operating system and office productivity software it has a diversified product portfolio. The items in the portfolio range from gaming (Xbox and 360) and hardware (keyboards, mice, PCs, and tablets) toonline services (advertising, Bing, and MSN). Also, Microsoft offers certifications that are designed for IT professionals (administrators and technicians)who support its products.
The Microsoft certifications equip IT professionals with the skills required to maintain its applications, services, and systems. However, before the candidates can achieve any of thesecredentials, they are required to pass an exam. Completing the Microsoft Certification Program (MCP) validates the individual’s competence in a specific Microsoft technology. Most importantly, Microsoft groups its credentialsinto different levels and focus areas.
Microsoft Certifications Overview
The Microsoft Certification Program includes:
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD)
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS)
Note: Passing the Microsoft certification exam qualifies one as a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP). The professionals with the MCP credential enjoy the following benefits:
- Access to Microsoft exams dashboard, certificates, and transcripts
- Credential logos
- Microsoft promotional offers
The Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert certification(MCSE)is one of the most popular pathways among the IT professionals. It is an advanced-level credential; to earn MCSE, the candidate needs to earn the MCSA certification first.Let’s take a closer look atthe MCSEcertification options, which include the following specializations: Cloud and Infrastructure, Mobility, Data Management and Analytics, Productivity, App Builder, and Business Applications.
- MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure
This certification is intended to verify the candidate’s skills to effectively work with the advanced data center. It also tests whether the individual has the knowledge innetworking, identity management, virtualization, systems management, and storage. To earn this credential,the candidate should passone of the 10 exams. Some of them are:
- Exam 70-473: Designing and Implementing Cloud Data Platform Solutions
- Exam 70-532: Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions
- Exam 70-533: Implementing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions
- Exam 70-535: Architecting Microsoft Azure Solutions
A cloud-oriented test is also included in the MTA certification. The exam 98-369: Cloud Fundamentals can be useful for the IT professionals who just started their career.
Note that any credential included in the MCSA pathcan serve as aprerequisite for the MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructurecertification. The Microsoft MCSA exam topics include:
- Cloud Platform
- BI Reporting
- Linux on Azure
- Data Engineering with Azure
- Machine Learning
- Office 365
- Microsoft Dynamics 365
- SQL Server 2012/2014
- SQL 2016 BI Development
- SQL 2016 Database Administration and Development
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2012/2016
- Universal Windows Platform
- Web Applications
- MCSE: Mobility
Similar toMCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, the Mobility specialization can be obtained throughpassing one of the below-mentioned exams:
- Exam 70-703: Administering Microsoft Exam Questions System Center Configuration Manager and Cloud Services Integration
- Exam 70-695: Deploying Windows Desktops and Enterprise Applications
This certification is designed to evaluate the candidate’s ability to work with BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) concept. This concept has gained popularity in the companies all around the world, which created a high demand for the specialists capable to work in this field.Thus, the MCSE: Mobility certification can significantly boost your IT career.
- MCSE: Data Management and Analytics
This certification is designed toconfirm your ability to work with cloud environments and business intelligence. This credential validates yourskills in building data solutions for enterprises and tests whether you are able to workwiththe SQL database. To earn this credential, the candidate should pass one of the 13 exams. Some of them are:
- Exam 70-773: Analyzing Big Data with Microsoft R
- Exam 70-473: Designing and Implementing Cloud Data Platform Solutions
- Exam 70-467: Designing Business Intelligence Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server
- Exam 70-768: Developing SQL Data Models
- Exam 70-465: Designing Database Solutions for Microsoft SQL Server
- Exam 70-475: Designing and Implementing Big Data Analytics Solutions
This credential is intended for professional administrators who want to improve their data management skills and reach a new career level.To obtain fundamental knowledge in data management, you can check the MTA certification, which offers the 98-364: Database Fundamentals exam.
- MCSE: Productivity
The certifications in this pathare based on the Microsoft Office applications: Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SharePoint Server, and Skype for Business. This certificate is intended to verify the candidate’s skills to effectively perform the following tasks:
- Moving the data to the cloud
- Increasing user flexibility and productivity
- Data security improvement
- Data loss reducing
To earn this credential, the student should pass one of the 8 exams. Some of them are:
- Exam 70-333: Deploying Enterprise Voice with Skype for Business 2015
- Exam 70-339: Managing Microsoft SharePoint Server 2016
- Exam 70-345: Designing and Deploying Microsoft Exchange Server 2016
This Microsoft credential is targeted at the individuals who want to advance their abilities to work with recent and old versions of Office applications. Earning this credential will help you to become a highly valued productivity solutions specialist.
- MCSE: Business Applications
This certification is designed to confirm your ability to work with Microsoft Dynamics 365.Itvalidates that you are familiar with some of its numerous functions and that you can use them to enhance the productivity of your organization.
To earn this credential, the candidate should pass one of the 8 exams, which are mainly focused on topics, such as customer service, financial management, sales, retail, and marketing. Some of the exams are:
- Exam MB6-897: Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Retail
- Exam MB2-717: Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Sales
- Exam MB2-719: Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Marketing
- Exam MB6-898: Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Talent
This credential is aimed at the implementation consultants, technical support engineers, and developers who want to improve their skills in managing Microsoft Dynamics 365 and learn more about its numerous functions and spheres of application.
A huge market exists for professionals qualified in Microsoftproducts, technologies, and services. Thus, many resources are availablefor the candidatesto train for certification exams. MicrosoftPress and Pearsonare the most popular resources for an exam preparation while and McGraw Hill provide additional materials. We wish you good luck in your professional journey – go ahead and get one of the most popular credentials in the IT world.