43 People Confirmed dead after Indonesia Flooding

At least 43 people were confirmed, Indonesian rescuers mounted a desperate search on Friday for those missing after torrential rains unleashed flash floods and landslides.

Around a dozen people were still unaccounted for after record rains that started on New Year’s Eve pounded the capital and left swathes of the megalopolis  home to some 30 million under water and thousands homeless.

Around 192,000 residents have been evacuated to temporary shelters, according to authorities, with many unable to return to waterlogged homes in neighbourhoods that have been turned into wastelands.

“We’re encouraging people whose houses are still inundated to go to a safer place,” said National Disaster Mitigation Agency spokesman Agus Wibowo.

Read Also:  Heavy Flood Kill 29 People in Indonesia

The agency said 43 people had been confirmed dead in Greater Jakarta and neighbouring Lebak regency in the south of Java island.

Waters had receded in many areas and power was being restored after being cut off in many districts.

In hard-hit Bekasi, on the outskirts of Jakarta, swampy streets were littered with debris and crushed cars lying on top of each other with waterline marks reaching as high as the second floors of buildings.

The government said Friday it would start cloud seeding to the west of the capital  inducing rain using chemicals sprayed from planes  to prevent approaching rainfall from pounding the region.

Read Also:  President of Suriname, Desi Bouterse Sentenced To 20 Years For 1982 Killings

Source: AFP

loading...

Check Also

Finally!!! UK Parliament Approves Brexit Deal

The United Kingdom parliament Thursday  finally approved Brexit, allowing it to become the first country …