Eden Hazard has rejected claims he has already agreed to join Real Madrid from Chelsea in the summer by saying ‘there’s nothing in the reports’.
It was reported in the Spanish press on Friday that Hazard had agreed in principle a five-year deal to join Real in the summer in a move that would make him their highest-paid player.
Speculation over Hazard’s future at Stamford Bridge has rumbled on for months, however, the return of Zinedine Zidane as Real’s manager is said to have convinced him to leave Chelsea.
However, Hazard who is currently on international duty with Belgium refused to be drawn over the reports that he will move to the Bernabeu ahead of his country’s game against Cyprus in which he is expected to win his 100th cap.
When asked whether a deal was in place for him to join Real, Hazard said: ‘There’s nothing in the reports. I’m only focused on tomorrow’s game against Cyprus.
‘That’s all I’m thinking about.’
Chelsea had been determined to keep their talisman beyond the end of the season, offering him a new contract that would have made him the club’s best-paid player in history a few months ago.
Hazard, though, has been reluctant to commit his long-term future to the club and has spoken regularly of his ‘dream’ to represent Real Madrid before he retires.
Having failed to tie Hazard down to a new deal thus far, Chelsea are believed to have put a £98.5m price tag on him in the summer and are unwilling to negotiate with any club under that amount.
Real have already had a £60m bid knocked back for the Belgian.
Hazard’s existing deal expires in 2020 and the upcoming transfer window will represent the club’s last opportunity to sell him for a high fee unless they are able to negotiate a new contract.
They may not be able to replace him if he is sold, however, due to being placed under a transfer ban by Fifa last month.