The death toll increased to 24 on a recent on the military base in northern Burkina Faso, the military said, in an unprecedented blow to the army in its campaign against jihadist insurgents.
According to reports, seven people were wounded and five others missing, armed forces headquarters said in a statement Tuesday.
The previous toll from the attack, at Koutougou in Soum province near the border with Mali, had been given late Monday as “more than a dozen”.
An “extraordinary meeting of the defence council” was underway at the presidential palace in the capital Ouagadougou, a security source told AFP.
The country’s main opposition party, the Union for Progress and Change (UPC), said the government-appointed by President Roch Marc Christian Kabore had “completely failed”.
It called for a “new team, whose prime task will be to defend the territorial integrity and protect the public.”
Monday’s attack came four days after suspected jihadists raided a village in the restive north, killing 15 people, plundering and burning shops.
A former French colony that ranks among one of the poorest countries in the world, Burkina Faso has been struggling with an Islamist revolt since 2015, which began in the north but has since spread to the east, near the border with Togo and Benin.
Most of the attacks have been attributed to the Ansarul Islam group, which emerged near the Mali border in December 2016, and to the Group to Support Islam and Muslims (GSIM), which has sworn allegiance to Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM).
Those groups are believed to have been responsible for around 500 deaths. Burkina’s capital Ouagadougou has been attacked three times.
The source said the base was attacked Monday by “several dozen terrorists” who arrived aboard motorbikes and pickup trucks.
“It’s clearly an attack that was well-prepared and coordinated by several terrorist groups. They fired heavy weapons, including rockets, which set fire to several installations, transport and weaponry,” the source said.