Arsene Wenger opens up about Eden Hazard’s start to life at Real Madrid this season
Arsene Wenger has said that it is unrealistic for Eden Hazard to be expected to replace Cristiano Ronaldo at Real Madrid following his move from Chelsea FC in the summer.
The Belgian playmaker finally signed with the Spanish side in the summer months after years of speculation linking him with a move to the Bernabeu.
Hazard has been struggling with fitness issues since his move to Spain and the 28-year-old and the playmaker finally scored his first goal for the club in a 4-2 win over Granada earlier this month.
The former Chelsea FC star arrived at the Bernabeu with plenty of expectation on his shoulders following his fine form for the Blues in recent years.
However, former Arsenal manager Wenger feels that the playmaker is not fully fit, and even when he is, he cannot be expected to fill the void left by Ronaldo.
Speaking in an interview with beIN SPORTS, Wenger said: “He will be the answer but not for [replacing] Ronaldo, that is for sure.
“Eden Hazard is an exceptional player to create chances, to sometimes finish when it’s demanded in big games he can do that, because he can take that responsibility. He isn’t scared of anybody.
“I don’t think at the moment in Madrid they have seen the real Eden Hazard, you know?
“He doesn’t look as sharp physically as he can be and that’s why I believe that they will discover the real Hazard.
“But he will not score 50 goals per year because that’s not the way he plays football. But he will provide chances and be creative.
“They need another goal-scorer in Madrid with Karim Benzema, because Benzema is as well 32. If he has somebody else, younger, around him who can score goals, this trio can work very well.”
Hazard played 63 minutes of Belgium’s 9-0 thrashing of San Marino in Euro 2020 qualifying on Thursday night.
The attacker won two Premier League titles and the FA Cup, League Cup and two Europa League titles during his impressive spell at Chelsea FC.